Certosa, Bologna monumental cemetery (Bologna, Italy)

Unlike many Italian monumental cemeteries, which were built from scratch, the Bologna cemetery was created by reutilizing the structures of the pre-existent monastery of San Girolamo di Casara, founded in 1334.
Even though nowadays it appears fully integrated into the urban fabric, it was chosen in 1801, as it became usual for the other European cemeteries, rightly because of its distance from the residential area and for the opportunity to adapt it by way of very few works. Starting from 1797, year of its suppression, the monastic building underwent many transformations, demolitions and extensions, so that the original structure is only partially visible.
Certosa, Bologna monumental cemetery
Via della Certosa, 18
40133 Bologna

Tel: +39 051 347592 - 051 225583 (Museum of the Risorgimento)
Points of Interest


Monumental Cemetery (Bologna, Italy)