In 1829, the city council of Rennes ordered the architect Charles Millardet to build this monument at the entrance of the municipal cemetery.
It is a two-story building which has a circular plan. The ground floor is crossed by a vaulted passage which leads to the cemetery. Inside there are 8 vaults made in order to receive remains of people deemed to receive this honor (at present, only two vaults are employed). Two stairs lead to the upper level, where is located a funeral chapel overhanging the cemetery. On the opposite site, the Hope Statue (in French “Statue de l’Espérance), sculpture by Jean-Baptiste Barré, welcomes visitors.
View the Front Dome in a larger map.