The Main Cemetery of Mainz, Germany

The main cemetery of Mainz was founded 202 years ago, yet its roots can be found in pre-roman times. When the roman troops built up "Moguntiacum", the place became a burial site for roman soldiers and citizens. In early medi- eval times, the bishops of Mainz were buried in the cemetery (making the valley the so-called "Holy Valley"). After Napoleon conquered Mainz, its prefect decided that a new burial place have to be set up. This decision was declared law by Napoleon for all french towns. The "Holy Valley" became a burial ground and was chosen to be the place for the new main cemetery. In 1803, the first burial took place at the new cemetery in Mainz. The marks of WWII are documented with graves of soldiers and victims of the bombs which fell on Mainz. Major factory owners, scientists, musicians, authors and politicians were buried here. Especially the vaults of Kupferberg, Henkell (both one of the most important German producers of sparkling wine) and Schott (one ofthe largest publisher of sheet music world-wide) should be mentioned here. The cemetery reflects the changeful history of a town "between several nations" which changed its ownership at least ten times since the cemetery was founded. The two square kilometres of the cemetery includes a large variety of differenttree and plant species.

Contact
e-mail: info@nekropolis-moguntia.de
Website: http://www.nekropolis-moguntia.de
Untere Zahlbacher Strasse
D-55131 Mainz Germany
 

Points of interest
 
 

Location

Oglejte si The main cemetery of Mainz na večjem zemljevidu.

Tourist Information about the City of Mainz:
Touristik Centrale Mainz
Telephone: +49 06131 286210
Telefax: +49 06131 2862155
Address: Bruckenturm am Rathaus 55116 Mainz
Email: tourist@info-mainz.de
Web: http://www.info-mainz