A Victorian cemetery in the ‘garden’ style pioneered by J C Loudon, opened in 1846. Initially only 10 acres (4 hectares) but later expanded to 27 acres (11 hectares).
The layout was designed and implemented by local nurseryman W H Rogers. The main buildings were designed by Frederick Francis of London and built by local builder John Foot, and are in three styles: Anglican chapel in Norman style, Nonconformist chapel in Early English style, Lodge and gate in Tudor style. These, together with the original wall and gateposts, and two of the memorials, are Grade II listed by English Heritage.
Friends of Southampton Old Cemetery
SO15 7NN SouthamptonUnited Kingdom
Points of interest