The Western Cemetery was built between 1856 and 1858 according to the plans of Carl Müller. In 1889 the expansion to the south followed.
Already in 1927 a columbarium was built. In 1926 and 1927 the cemetery chapel was rebuilt and expanded with a chapel of rest. At the same time residential and administrative buildings were built.
During World War 2 the cemetery was partly badly damaged due to air raids. In 1959 the columbarium next to the chapel of rest was expanded and in the 80s, reconstruction and restoration work was done.
In the south of the cemetery there are the Jewish and Evangelical cemeteries that are separated by walls. A special mention should go to the Jewish cemetery because it is the only one in Tirol. A number of well-known personalities are buried here.
The overall atmosphere of the cemetery is definitely influenced by the combination of cemetery art, architectures and sculptures. For instance, in the neo-gothic cemetery chapel frescos by Franz Plattner are to be found, and the consecration hall is decorated with statues by Franz Santifaller. Part of the honorary graves can be found in the arcades.
Today, Western Cemetery covers an area of approximately 47,700 m2.
Cemetery opening hours
November till February: 7.30-17.00
March till October: 7.30-18.00
April till September: 7.30-19:00
View Eastern Cemetery Innsbruck in a larger map.