Cemetery of Piratello
The Cemetery was built 3.5km away from the city centre. Back then, this location was chosen to avoid any epidemiological contagion.
It started to be used since 1st February 1822. Today it reflects the history of the city through its most illustrious people and bears witness to the architectural evolution of the almost last 200 years.
The Garden-Cloister is the main and oldest core of the cemetery. A former cloister of the Franciscan monastery, it is a very evocative place. Under its arcades graves of Imola’s noble families lie with outstanding works of art. The simple inner garden features centuries-old trees.
The Gran Campo (Great Camp) dates back to the Seventies of the 19th century and is surrounded by a tall arcade with dome-shaped pavilions. The eastern dead-end pavilion represents the Famedio where popular, well-deserving and donor citizens were buried, as well as the mayors of the town. Here are the graves of very well-known people, not only at local level, such as Giuseppina Cattani and Andrea Costa, whose epigraph engraved on the tombstone that contains his ashes, was written by Giovanni Pascoli.
The Monumental Camp, built since 1916, houses the families’ funerary chapels, some of them with architectural and testimonial relevance. Access to this area is provided by a wide staircase, on top of which there is the Shrine of the Fallen during the 1st World War. The sculpture of the Victory over the funerary crypt is by artist Cleto Tomba.
The crypt with the shrine dedicated to the fallen partisans who joined the Resistance movement during the 2nd World War is located in the southern end of the Monumental Camp, inside a building with arcades and polychrome windows, started before the 2nd World War and finished in 1955.
Just opposite the entrance to the Great Camp, where a multi-stemmed cedar of Lebanon stands out, starting from 1944 the occupying German troops arranged the graves of the fallen German soldiers. They stayed here until the 1961-1962 winter when the tombs were moved to the war cemetery at the Futa Pass.
Beginning from 1978, a project was drawn up aimed at enlarging the cemetery eastwards. The first graves were placed in the new cemetery in 1985. The various parcels continued to be built with no interruptions within the framework of a single project that was accomplished in 1995.
To the south of these structures, the latest ones can be found, which were started in 1999 and completed in the first semester of 2002. This architectural portion was granted acknowledgement awards and was described in several specialized publications.
Several arcades are found all over the cemetery features. The green grassy expanses, the geometrically-cut hedges of laurel and the magnificent cedars and cypresses create extremely rich, harmonious and valuable green spaces.