The Vienna Central Cemetery was built in the late XIX centuryaccording to the plans of the Frankfurt landscape architects Karl Jonas Mylius and Alfred Friedrich Bluntschli who were awarded for their project "per angusta ad augusta" (from dire to sublime). The layout was for a multi-confessional graveyard. A church dedicated to St Charles Borromeo was then built as designed by Max Hegele, and it opened in 1911. Vienna is a city of music since time immemorial, and the municipality expressed gratitude to composers by granting them monumental tombs. To mention but a few: Antonio Salieri, Johann Strauss the older, Johannes Brahms, Johann Strauss the younger, Franz Schubert, Ludwig van Beethoven, Arnold Schoenberg. Vienna is also a city of architects (Adolf Loos and Josef Hoffmann are buried here), writers such as Karl Kraus, politicians like Julius Raab, who as chancellor signed the state treaty in 1955, his popular predecessor Leopold Figl who was later to become the Austrian minister of foreign affairs ("Austria is free"), Bruno Kreisky (the Sun King), Viktor Adler, Otto Bauer: all of them, and many more, have been laid to rest in graves of honour at the central cemetery.
Simmeringer Hauptstrasse 234
1110 Vienna Austria
Tel. +43 (0)1 760410
Points of interest
Oglejte si Central Cemetery (Vienna, Austria) na večjem zemljevidu.
Tourist information (Vienna Tourist Board):
Downtown: Tourist Info Center Albertinaplatz/Maysedergasse
Daily from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Vienna International Airport, arrival hall
Daily from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Phone: +43 (0)1 24555 (daily from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.)
Fax: ++43 (0)1 24555-666