The Cemetery of Père Lachaise (Paris, France)

The Cemetery of Père Lachaise (Paris, France)
The East Cemetery of Paris, well known as "Père Lachaise", was opened in 1804 as a response to the closure of ancient and overcrowded churchyards.

About the cemetery

The site was initially located in open country, now it towers over Paris. Alexandre Théodore Brongniart (the architect of the centre city la Bourse), designed the cemetery as a contemplative space, inspired by the British gardens.

The global fame and reputation of the cemetery is based on its many characteristics:
  • It still conserves material testimonies of its first appearance. The history of the foundation of cemeteries during the 19th century has been marked by the Romantic conception of Brongniart and several European burial sites have emulated it. 
  • It is the last home of many important figures (from Chopin to Jim Morrison) and shelters memorials of great importance (from the “Mur des Fédérés of the Commune of Paris to memorials of concentration camps). The associated monuments are often realized by the greatest artists of all nations. 
  • The walk through the place is always different and surprising because of numerous extravagant monuments (the smokestack of the Beaujour grave, the telegraph of the Chappe’s tomb, the Allan Kardec’s Dolmen, etc.) and the beauty of the park.
  • Last but not least, the cemetery also covers a complete set of funerary buildings, linked to the history and the organisation of the Mortuary Services, such as the Chapel, the Crematorium, the Columbarium and the Boneyard.


The Cemetery of Père Lachaise
8, boulevard de Ménilmontant
75020 Paris


Tel. +33 155258210
Tel/Fax: +33 143704216

Website: The Cemetery of Père Lachaise